[CentOS] Hard drive errors

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Mon Sep 25 13:08:51 UTC 2006

On Friday 22 September 2006 13:06, Bowie Bailey wrote:
> The problem does sound external to the disks.  Someone else suggested
> the power supply.  I wouldn't suspect both cables to have problems, so
> that's probably not an issue.

Power supply issues can do real damage to the drives, as well.  I had a pair
of 250GB drives that have hard errorred sectors thanks to a power
supply 'glitching' on me.  The drives still work fine otherwise, but they
have several dozen sectors each that will never be usable.
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology
Pisgah Astronomical Research Institute
1 PARI Drive