[CentOS] Hard drive errors

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Fri Sep 22 17:26:52 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-09-22 at 13:06 -0400, Bowie Bailey wrote:
> Cian Cullinan wrote:
> > <snip>

> The problem does sound external to the disks.  Someone else suggested
> the power supply.  I wouldn't suspect both cables to have problems, so
> that's probably not an issue.

Have you looked inside the PS? What you think of a separate cables may
be joined at the base in the PS. And then if one cable has a high
resistance short, it affects voltage on both legs. And if the output tap
feeding those two wires (even separate wires on the same "bus" or "tap"
are "joined at the base" electrically speaking) has a problem ... it
appears on both wires.

That said, *usually* problems in the wires are "opens" and you just lose
that one "leg".

>   The controller is on the MB and I
> REALLY don't want to have to tear the machine apart to replace it.

It *might* be cheaper to insert a PCI controller card than replace the
mb.

> The errors have stopped for now.  No more errors in the past four
> hours.  At the moment all I can do is keep monitoring it.

And whisper sweet nothings into its little electronic ears. :-)

--
Bill