[CentOS] Re: Safely updating to 4.4 via yum (chicken)

techlist06 techlist06 at msws.org
Mon Sep 25 21:51:50 UTC 2006

Tom:

>> techlist wrote:
>>> Can someone tell the what the concensous was on the best way to do the
>>> upgrade and avoid problems.  From my notes I got:
>>>
>>> yum upgrade python-sqlite
>>> yum upgrade sqllite
>>> yum upgrade yum
>>> yum clean all
>>> yum update
>>>
>>> But at least one guy said his box was still hosed with duplicates and a
>>> broken bind after that.
>>>
>>> What's the method to upgrade 4.3-> 4.4 with the highest change of
>>> sucess?
>>

>> That procedure should be fine.  The broken bind thing happens when people
>> have the caching nameserver installed.  I always delete it if the machine
>> needs to run as a nameserver.
>
> That is not true. The broken bind thing happens if you have bind
> installed.
> I have no caching-nameservers installed here and every one of them broke
> on
> upgrade. The fix is to simply make the keys in /etc/rned.key and
> /etc/rndc.conf
> the same. There is an upstream bug open on this and a fix will be
> available
> someday. :-(

Excellent, I do run bind, and I am familiar with the rndc key.  So the
procedure that should work properly for 4.3 to 4.4 update is:

yum upgrade python-sqlite
yum upgrade sqllite
yum upgrade yum
yum clean all
yum update
massage bind rndc keys/files as required so keys match.

You, or anyone else kow of anything else I need to watch for?

Thanks guys,
Scott