[CentOS] Re: Safely updating to 4.4 via yum (chicken)

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Mon Sep 25 22:40:48 UTC 2006

techlist06 spake the following on 9/25/2006 2:51 PM:
> Tom:

>>> That procedure should be fine.  The broken bind thing happens when
>>> people have the caching nameserver installed.  I always delete it if
>>> the machine needs to run as a nameserver.
>>
>> That is not true. The broken bind thing happens if you have bind
>> installed.
>> I have no caching-nameservers installed here and every one of them
>> broke on
>> upgrade. The fix is to simply make the keys in /etc/rned.key and
>> /etc/rndc.conf
>> the same. There is an upstream bug open on this and a fix will be
>> available
>> someday. :-(
>>

> Excellent, I do run bind, and I am familiar with the rndc key.  So the
> procedure that should work properly for 4.3 to 4.4 update is:
>
> yum upgrade python-sqlite
> yum upgrade sqllite
> yum upgrade yum
> yum clean all
> yum update
> massage bind rndc keys/files as required so keys match.
>
> You, or anyone else kow of anything else I need to watch for?
>
> Thanks guys,
> Scott
Besides fire and explosions! Sorry, that is for Dell laptops.  ;-)

That is the recommended steps, but I would put the first three on one line like;
yum update yum sqlite python-sqlite
just in case of a dependency problem.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...