[CentOS] new Centos 4.4 install--display update very SLOW

Wed Sep 6 11:00:05 UTC 2006
fredex <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>

Hi!

I just installed Centos 4.4 on a machine at work, yesterday. Mostly it
went well with just a couple of glitches.

One of them is slow video performance. No, I'm not playing 3d games
at work! :)

Scrolling/repainting terminal windows is plainly MUCH slower than it is
on my Centos 4.4 desktop at home. Machine at home is an Athlon XP 2600+
with one gig of RAM. Machine at work is a P4 2.26 Ghz with a gig of RAM.

Before Centos, the one at work had RHEL WS 2.1, which did not exhibit
the same issue. It was using KDE as the main desktop, while this time
it is (so far) set to use Gnome (as is the box at home).

Scrolling through a big file with less, for example, you can watch it
paint the screen. Hitting 'B' to go back a screen is almost painful,
you see it scroll part of the screen down, slowly, then fill in each
line above that.

It's the same hardware that was there before, the only thing that has
changed is the OS.

Clues?

Thanks!
                      The eyes of the Lord are everywhere,
                    keeping watch on the wicked and the good.