[CentOS] new Centos 4.4 install--display update very SLOW

Wed Sep 6 11:46:46 UTC 2006
William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com>

On Wed, 2006-09-06 at 07:00 -0400, fredex wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I just installed Centos 4.4 on a machine at work, yesterday. Mostly it
> went well with just a couple of glitches.
>
> One of them is slow video performance. No, I'm not playing 3d games
> at work! :)
>
> Scrolling/repainting terminal windows is plainly MUCH slower than it is
> on my Centos 4.4 desktop at home. Machine at home is an Athlon XP 2600+
> with one gig of RAM. Machine at work is a P4 2.26 Ghz with a gig of RAM.
>
> Before Centos, the one at work had RHEL WS 2.1, which did not exhibit
> the same issue. It was using KDE as the main desktop, while this time
> it is (so far) set to use Gnome (as is the box at home).
>
> Scrolling through a big file with less, for example, you can watch it
> paint the screen. Hitting 'B' to go back a screen is almost painful,
> you see it scroll part of the screen down, slowly, then fill in each
> line above that.
>
> It's the same hardware that was there before, the only thing that has
> changed is the OS.
>
> Clues?

Nope. But see here for confirmation, at least.

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2006-August/068747.html

It happens on my 1.8GHz Athlon (PR2200+) with a Radeon AGP at 4X, 128MB
aperture too. I didn't post that one though.

> <snip sig stuff>

HTH
--
Bill