[CentOS] Kernel-2.6.9-42.0.2EL fails to boot after upgrade to CentOS 4.4

Sat Sep 2 17:04:05 UTC 2006
Robert <kerplop at sbcglobal.net>

Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-09-02 at 10:50 -0500, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>
>> ---On Sat, 2006-09-02 at 07:42 -0500, Gerald Waugh wrote:
>>
>> We have a problem with upgrade to 4.4
>> When we run 'yum update' everything appears to be OK
>> But, if we reboot the server with the new kernel,
>> we get "kernel panic" when the new kernel attempts to load.
>>
>> The CentOS splash screen shows briefly, but not long enough to select
>> the old kernel
>>

> Hmmm ...
>
> You should get a screen that has a kernel name and is blue, at that
> screen, you should be able to press any key and then select a kernel
> before the kernel actually starts booting.
>
> Does that work?
>
> The other issue sounds like maybe you have a custom built kernel driver
> that you need to build for your new kernel before you boot (maybe a
> SCSI/RAID driver)?

Since I'm still happily running CentOS 4.3, I should probably keep my
thoughts
to myself, but that immediate kernel panic sure is a reminder of
attempting to boot
an i686 kernel with an i586 processor.  I'd try to duplicate the
reported symptom
but my AMD K6-2 box has become an "organ transplant" donor strictly because
of kernel requirements.