[CentOS] yum vs up2date

Thu Sep 7 02:35:26 UTC 2006
John Summerfied <debian at herakles.homelinux.org>

Paul wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-09-07 at 09:07 +0800, John Summerfied wrote:
>

> FC5 broken?
> Funny I use it every day as a desktop.

I run twelve virtual consoles, and often work through ssh even when in
the same room.

I want mount points created when I plug in a USB disk. I don't want it
mounted, and I especially don't want it open on the desktop (which I
might not be looking at).

Even if I'm looking at the desktop, I don't want rewritable media
mounted, it makes it hard to rewrite them.

Imagine; I'm downloading RHEL5 beta1 on my Centos box at work (I am).
I plug in my USB2 notebook disk to copy RHEL5 beta 1 plus Etch (Debian
testing) to it.

My desktop box doesn't have a screen (really, it doesn't) though I could
actually have a GUI desktop running.

I want to connect via ssh, and run these commands:
mount /media/usbdisk
mv $(find ~/downloads ~/ISOs) /media/usbdisk
umount /media/usbdisk

It works in Centos4. It won't work in FC5; if there's noone logged in
locally, the mountpoint won't get created, and if someone's logged in
locally, the default operation is for all partitions to bemounted and
opened on the desktop.

It's worse for optical media (but SUSE has that wrong too). on Windows,
a CD or DVD is always d: or e: or whatever for that particular
configuration. Until recently, on Linux it was always /cdrom (Debian) or
/mnt/cdrom (RHL) or similar, then /media/cdrom. Now it's
/media/<columelabel>.

I don't see any way that's better than /media/cdrom, or what the mount
point's got to do wuth the representation on the user's desktop.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait