[CentOS] yum vs up2date

Thu Sep 7 03:02:43 UTC 2006
Paul <subsolar at subsolar.com>

On Thu, 2006-09-07 at 10:35 +0800, John Summerfied wrote:
> Paul wrote:
> >
> > FC5 broken?
> > Funny I use it every day as a desktop.
>
> I run twelve virtual consoles, and often work through ssh even when in
> the same room.
>
> I want mount points created when I plug in a USB disk. I don't want it
> mounted, and I especially don't want it open on the desktop (which I
> might not be looking at).
<SNIP>

> It's worse for optical media (but SUSE has that wrong too). on Windows,
> a CD or DVD is always d: or e: or whatever for that particular
> configuration. Until recently, on Linux it was always /cdrom (Debian) or
> /mnt/cdrom (RHL) or similar, then /media/cdrom. Now it's
> /media/<columelabel>.
>
> I don't see any way that's better than /media/cdrom, or what the mount
> point's got to do wuth the representation on the user's desktop.

OK I see where your coming from, though I would not say it's "broken",
it is a change of behavior from what went before.  I think FC3 had that
behavior also and I expect RHEL5 will probably also have it.  It was a
design decision to reflect what new desktop users coming from
Windows/Mac would expect.

It would be nice if it could be configured to act differently, there may
be a way to configure it to do what you expect.

Regards,
Paul