[CentOS] Samba setup for CentOS-4.4 workstations

Wed Sep 27 13:56:44 UTC 2006
James B. Byrne <byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca>

On Tue, September 26, 2006 18:38, TimJowers at Yahoo.Com wrote:

> Hi James,
>  I'd like to know the configuration you have working. We can mount
>  Windows shares but the SMB connection dialog seems to hang. Kill
>  it and the drive is actually mounted. Still trying to master it myself.

I used authconfig to set the connection parameters on the Linux box to
authenticate against the domain controllers using winbind.  The detailed
instructions can be found online here:

http://www.redmondmag.com/columns/article.asp?EditorialsID=858

This recipe sets up the Linux station to use active directory as the
authentication system and so our users can login on the station as
brockley\username and use their domain password without problem.  Users
can also see all of the machines on the domain from within Nautilus but
when they click on a machine to see its shares then they get a permissions
error.  Apparently their windows credentials are not supplied to nautilus
and the access mode set on the windows NTFS5 is equivalent to " root:root
rwx------- "

I would like to avoid having to statically mount the shares with
explicitly assigned credentials but I cannot find any documentation on how
to configure nautilus or CentOS to use the login credentials to access
available network shares dynamically.  I suspect that this problem needs
to be solved on the windows side of thing and I am presently reviewing the
documentation at:

http://ca.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/AccessControls.html#id2616824

To see if I can figure this stuff out sufficiently to get the domain
shares visible to ordinary users of the Linux station.  I have also read
through the Microsoft documentation on sfu but I find it incredibly dense
going.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/interopmigration/unix/sfu/sfu3perm.mspx

Regards,
Jim