[CentOS] Re: Samba setup for CentOS-4.4 workstations

Wed Sep 27 14:27:18 UTC 2006
James B. Byrne <byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca>

Following along on my quest for Windows and Samba harmony it seems to me
that because we do not allow "everyone" access to our domain shares but
restrict access to a special Windows security group that this might be at
the "root" (pardon the pun) of my difficulties.  It appears that
"everyone" is the group membership that all Linux samba "users" map to by
default.  So perhaps the answer lies in the smb.conf file and specifically
in the entry "force group".  Does anyone on the list have experience with
using this technique and if so can they comment on it?

As it happens our security group name has both spaces and the character
"&" in it so if this is going to cause issues I would like to be informed
about any group naming limitations as well.

Regards,
Jim

Canada  L8E 3C3