[CentOS] Trimming the fat out of a Centos 4.4 Installation

Thu Sep 28 10:12:36 UTC 2006

Erick Perez wrote:
> Hi, just to avoid re-inventing the wheel, is there any document that
> can help me reduce even further a "minimum" installation of Centos 4.4
> (BTW can you say 600mb is minimum)?

it is yes, the base minimum is what App and Solution vendors are then
able to assume will be the minimum functional level of a machine,
running CentOS.

> I am in the process of creating a small Centos-4.4-based Asterisk box
> and I need to boot it from a CF card. Deleting useless packages will
> help me do what i want.
> Example: even a minimum install of Centos 4.4 (or Redhat EL for what
> is worth) includes CUPS, among other things.

it comes from the LSB compatibility specifications. cups is required as
is a MTA and a bunch of other things.

if you really want to trim down, get yum going and rpm -qa, check what
you dont want, then remove it.

- KB