[CentOS] Trimming the fat out of a Centos 4.4 Installation

Thu Sep 28 11:09:14 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-28 at 11:12 +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Erick Perez wrote:
> > Hi, just to avoid re-inventing the wheel, is there any document that
> > can help me reduce even further a "minimum" installation of Centos 4.4
> > (BTW can you say 600mb is minimum)?
>
> it is yes, the base minimum is what App and Solution vendors are then
> able to assume will be the minimum functional level of a machine,
> running CentOS.
>
> > I am in the process of creating a small Centos-4.4-based Asterisk box
> > and I need to boot it from a CF card. Deleting useless packages will
> > help me do what i want.
> > Example: even a minimum install of Centos 4.4 (or Redhat EL for what
> > is worth) includes CUPS, among other things.
>
> it comes from the LSB compatibility specifications. cups is required as
> is a MTA and a bunch of other things.
>
> if you really want to trim down, get yum going and rpm -qa, check what
> you dont want, then remove it.

This might also help you ... it seems to produce the minimum workable
install that meets all dependency requirements:

http://www.owlriver.com/tips/tiny-centos/

(you may have to modify it slightly for 4.4, but the concepts will work)