[CentOS] adding a usb drive to an existing raid1 set

Fri Sep 29 04:46:27 UTC 2006
rado <rado at rivers-bend.com>

On Thu, 2006-09-28 at 23:24 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:

> My system is actually installed on /dev/sda (a scsi drive) and the
> 3-device raid was added later with:
kk now I am dealing w/2 ides on diff. channels and the removable usb
recognized as sda

> mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=1 --raid-devices=3 /dev/hdc1 /dev/hdd1
> missing
yes I remember you telling me this now...and something happened to that
msg w/all the new vmware goin on here too...I dunno..

> The external drive becomes /dev/sdb when connected and
> can be added with
> mdadm --add /dev/md0 /dev/sdb1
in my case would be sda1 2 3

> I don't think you can do that in disk druid.

yes, this is one of your msgs that I lost...thx for this
no gotta forget druid for this...

wondering if I should just dismantle the raid sys...and redo it as you
did from the command line or...

seeing it's a brand new system...nothing really on it...just throw a
fresh (choose auto for the partitions) then make the arrays.

I really would like to try to do what I'm trying to do just for the
experience but lol I don't know who's gonna give out first me or
raid...lol. It just seems hard to believe that this can't be done.

thx Les,

John Rose