[CentOS] How to resolve an up2date package conflict?

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 11:16:32 UTC 2007

On 4/2/07, Olaf Greve <o.greve at axis.nl> wrote:

> At present I'm setting up several CentOS (4 and 4.4) machines, and in
> the process of installing the several updates that are automatically
> mentioned by up2date as being available, I'm running into a package
> conflict.

This sort of thing is common on multi-arch systems. Is this an x86_64 box?

> More particular, when trying to install several of the C compiler
> related packages (like gcc, cpp, etc.) I get the error message:
> "Test install failed because of package conflicts:
> The following packages were added to your selection to satisfy
> dependencies:
> (name) libtool     (version) 1.5.6     (release) 4.EL4.c4.4
> package libtool-1.5.6-4.EL4.1.c4.4 is already installed"

After answering the above question, is the package it's trying to
install here for x86 or x86_64?

> Now.... this seems to be somewhat of what we call over here a
> "chicken-and-egg-problem", IOW, in order to resolve it libtool should
> be added, yet when adding it, libtool is already installed and causes
> the conflict; so which to solve first :P
>
> Can anyone let me know how I can manually solve this problem (note
> that libtool was not offered as a selectable package, but rather is
> enforced when trying to install e.g. gcc)?

Multi-arch systems get interesting when you start installing
development tools. Can you provide us a wee bit more detail as to what
system you're running, which version of centos, and any extra
repositories you might have enabled (rpmforge, atrpms).

George Orwell