[CentOS] How to resolve an up2date package conflict?

Olaf Greve o.greve at axis.nl
Mon Apr 2 12:23:31 UTC 2007

Hi,

Thanks for thinking along with me, down below I've tried to answer
your questions as well as possible:

 >This sort of thing is common on multi-arch systems. Is this an
x86_64 box?

No, it is a regular i386 (x86) based installation. Also, I have not
manually hacked any software channels or so such that it would
include x86_64 stuff, so I would hope that CentOS would never present
me with x86_64 packages for this particular machine.

 >After answering the above question, is the package it's trying to
 >install here for x86 or x86_64?

All packages list the architecture as 'i386', so no x86_64 packages
there...

 >Multi-arch systems get interesting when you start installing
 >development tools. Can you provide us a wee bit more detail as to what
 >system you're running, which version of centos, and any extra
 >repositories you might have enabled (rpmforge, atrpms).

Alright, when looking at the kernels in GRUB, the oldest one is:
CentOS 4.0 (2.6.9-5.0.3.EL)
...and the most recent one, being the one that is actually booted
into, is:
CentOS (2.6.9-42.0.10.EL)

When the machine boots it mentions: "Red Hat nash version 4.2.1.8"

The channels listed in up2date are: "centos4-Base", "centos4-
Updates", "centos4-Extras", "centos4-addons", and in the 'Channel
information' pane, the following base location is listed for all
channels: "http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4/<channel>/i386", with
<channel> being (respectively): 'os', 'updates', 'extras' and 'addons'.

Back when first installing this machine, I *think* I chose the
'complete installation' type, and I am about 100% certain that I did
not manually add any additional repositories...

I hope the above information is sufficient... Also, please pardon my
ignorance somewhat, I'm not quite as proficient in Linuxes as in
FreeBSD, so some things are somewhat new to me, and hence perhaps the
provided information may not be exactly what you're looking for... :P

Cheers!
Olafo