[CentOS] How to resolve an up2date package conflict?

Olaf Greve o.greve at axis.nl
Mon Apr 2 14:08:55 UTC 2007

Hi,

 >have you tried using yum as root in the shell?
 >aka:
 >yum install gcc cpp <whatever else you want>

I had not, but I did so just now, and this does yield some
interesting results. When doing exactly the above, i.e. "yum install
gcc cpp", at first it comes a long way, until it hits the point where
it tries to install libobjc, which results in the following output:

---> Downloading header for libobjc to pack into transaction set.
libobjc-3.4.6-3.1.i386.rp 100% |=========================|  33 kB
00:00
---> Package libobjc.i386 0:3.4.6-3.1 set to be updated
--> Running transaction check
--> Processing Dependency: gcc = 3.4.5 for package: libtool
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Missing Dependency: gcc = 3.4.5 is needed by package libtool

Hah, again the dreaded libtool dependency....

Subsequently executing: "yum install libtool", results in:
Setting up Install Process
Setting up repositories
Parsing package install arguments
Nothing to do

Doing a "yum update libtool" or "yum upgrade libtool" doesn't do any
magic either.

Nowwww, when checking the man pages, I do notice several ways of
cleaning yum's cache (like "yum clean packages" etc., and also a way
to remove packages "yum remove libtool"), but I am not certain doing
this is the best of ideas...

So... is there perhaps any way I can force re-install libtool, or
otherwise fix the conflicting dependencies (as a comparison, I am
looking for something like FreeBSDs ports mechanism where one can
most of the time nicely perform a "make", "make deinstall", "make
reinstall" sequence to get rid of similar dependency issues)?

Cheers and tnx,
Olafo