[CentOS] How to resolve an up2date package conflict?

Bart Schaefer barton.schaefer at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 14:46:46 UTC 2007

On 4/2/07, Olaf Greve <o.greve at axis.nl> wrote:

> I had not, but I did so just now, and this does yield some
> interesting results. When doing exactly the above, i.e. "yum install
> gcc cpp", at first it comes a long way, until it hits the point where
> it tries to install libobjc, which results in the following output:
>
> ---> Downloading header for libobjc to pack into transaction set.

libobjc is only installed as a dependency if you're installing the
gcc-objc package, not just plain gcc. Are you telling us what you're
really doing?  If libtool requires gcc and libtool is already on your
system, then you must also already have gcc.  So why aren't you using
"yum update gcc" rather than "yum install gcc"?

Have you tried simply "yum upgrade" (with no specific packages listed)
to bring the entire system up to date?  If not, why not?

As a last resort I'd suggest that you try removing libtool entirely
(rpm -e libtool), then installing whatever gcc packages you are after,
and then try re-installing libtool.

> libobjc-3.4.6-3.1.i386.rp 100% |=========================|  33 kB
> 00:00
> ---> Package libobjc.i386 0:3.4.6-3.1 set to be updated
> --> Running transaction check
> --> Processing Dependency: gcc = 3.4.5 for package: libtool
> --> Finished Dependency Resolution
> Error: Missing Dependency: gcc = 3.4.5 is needed by package libtool

It does seem a little odd that libtool has a specific "gcc = 3.4.5"
dependency ... however, on my CentOS 4.4 box it reports "gcc = 3.4.3"
and I didn't have any trouble updating gcc:

%  rpm -q libtool
libtool-1.5.6-4.EL4.1.c4.4
% rpm -qR libtool
/bin/sh