[CentOS] How to resolve an up2date package conflict? [SOLVED]

Olaf Greve o.greve at axis.nl
Mon Apr 2 15:19:41 UTC 2007

Hi,

Firstly: I solved the problem. For those who find it interesting to
see where the issue resided, and how it was solved, I have posted the
details down below.

 >libobjc is only installed as a dependency if you're installing the
 >gcc-objc package, not just plain gcc. Are you telling us what you're
 >really doing?

Yep.

 >If libtool requires gcc and libtool is already on your system, then
you
 >must also already have gcc.  So why aren't you using "yum update gcc"
 >rather than "yum install gcc"?
 >
 >Have you tried simply "yum upgrade" (with no specific packages listed)
 >to bring the entire system up to date?  If not, why not?

Been there, done that. This results in (for "yum update" and "yum
update gcc"):

---> Package gcc-objc.i386 0:3.4.6-3.1 set to be updated
---> Downloading header for gcc4-c++ to pack into transaction set.
gcc4-c%2B%2B-4.1.0-18.EL4 100% |=========================|  32 kB
00:00
---> Package gcc4-c++.i386 0:4.1.0-18.EL4.3 set to be updated
--> Running transaction check
--> Processing Dependency: gcc = 3.4.5 for package: libtool
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Missing Dependency: gcc = 3.4.5 is needed by package libtool

 >As a last resort I'd suggest that you try removing libtool entirely
 >(rpm -e libtool), then installing whatever gcc packages you are after,
 >and then try re-installing libtool.

Yes. I agree in resorting to the last resort, so I tried that, and
this resulted in the message: "error: "libtool" specifies multiple
packages"

But wait!
Now there we have a really good clue as to what is going on!!!
Multiple packages does not sound like a desirable situation!!

Sooooo, trying to use yum instead shows something highly interesting:

yum remove libtool
Setting up Remove Process
Resolving Dependencies
--> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
---> Package libtool.i386 0:1.5.6-4.EL4.1.c4.3 set to be erased
---> Package libtool.i386 0:1.5.6-4.EL4.1.c4.4 set to be erased
--> Running transaction check

Dependencies Resolved

=====
Package                 Arch       Version          Repository
Size
=====
Removing:
libtool                 i386       1.5.6-4.EL4.1.c4.3
installed         2.3 M
libtool                 i386       1.5.6-4.EL4.1.c4.4
installed         2.3 M

Transaction Summary
=====
Install      0 Package(s)
Update       0 Package(s)
Remove       2 Package(s)
Total download size: 0

There ya go!
No idea how both versions could have gotten installed, but this is
definitely way off.

I removed both packages, and afterwards a "yum update gcc" worked
fine, then I ran "yum update" and that finished without any problems
too. Finally, I ran "yum install libtool", and that worked smoothly
too (it installed the "c4.4" version mentioned above).

All swell now, and tnx everybody for your help! :)

Cheerz,
Olafo