[CentOS] Re: System requirements

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Thu Apr 5 11:12:18 UTC 2007

Scott Silva wrote:
> Grzesiek spake the following on 4/4/2007 9:46 AM:
>
>>System requirements for CentOS 5 minimal installation (console and
>>ssh) are....128 MB ram, 256...? I can't find this information in rhel5
>>installation manual.
>
> I have seen problems on the list with installing the beta in less than 256 MB,
> but how useful would a server be with much less than that? Especially with the
> 2.6 kernel. I remember running the 2.0 kernel in as little as 32 MB, 2.4 had
> some trouble with less than 64MB, and I guess some feature bloat just creeps
> into everything.

Hog.
I ran an Internet server for some years running RHL 4.2 and a 2.0 kernel
in 8 Mbytes.

Until its disk died, I was running a perfectly credible server for a
small LAN on a Pentium III with 128, maybe 192 Mbytes of RAM. The only
time it was short of RAM was when running rsync to back it up, when it
used an enormous amount of swap.

It was running Debian/Sarge.

--

Cheers