[CentOS] CentOS 5 64-bits support (desktop environment)

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 15:51:34 UTC 2007

> Does CentOS 5 use a better approach to 64-bits and 32-bits packages
> existing on the same machine?

Better than what?

> How is Upstream package selection comparing 32-bits and 64-bits editions?

Not quite sure what you mean here.

> Should we expect third-party repositories (mainly rpmforge) to better
> support 64-bits packages?

rpmforge has always had good 64bit support.

> I want to figure out if I should use CentOS/RHEL 5 x86_64 in desktop
> environment.

You'll probably run into the same issues as centos4 for desktop use.
Still no 64bit flash, not too many browser goodies, etc. The basic
stuff works fine, it's the 'free proprietary' software where the issue
is mostly.

George Orwell