[CentOS] CentOS 5 64-bits support (desktop environment)

Leonardo Pinheiro leopinheiro at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 16:02:57 UTC 2007

On 4/11/07, Jim Perrin <jperrin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Better than what?

Than CentOS 4 and its package management concerning 32-bits and
64-bits packages in the same machine.

> > How is Upstream package selection comparing 32-bits and 64-bits editions?
>
> Not quite sure what you mean here.

The package selection for 32-bits and 64-bits are quite the same or
there are important differences? Example: no Acroread (-plugin), no
Flash plugin for Firefox, etc. Well, that is an important difference
for some users (maybe most).
Ok, now I see you've answered this below.

SLED deals pretty well with this - like firefox 32-bits and
flash/acroread out of the box. I like the way it deals with 32 bits
and 64 bits coexisting in the same machine.

> > Should we expect third-party repositories (mainly rpmforge) to better
> > support 64-bits packages?
>
> rpmforge has always had good 64bit support.
>
> > I want to figure out if I should use CentOS/RHEL 5 x86_64 in desktop
> > environment.
>
> You'll probably run into the same issues as centos4 for desktop use.
> Still no 64bit flash, not too many browser goodies, etc. The basic
> stuff works fine, it's the 'free proprietary' software where the issue
> is mostly.

Thanks
Leonardo