[CentOS] HD/Partitions/RAID setup

Matt Hyclak hyclak at math.ohiou.edu
Wed Apr 11 17:34:57 UTC 2007

On Wed, Apr 11, 2007 at 11:32:22AM -0600, Ashley M. Kirchner enlightened us:
>    I have a machine that's been configured as follows using its BIOS tools:
>
>    SATA-0 is a 160 GiB drive used as boot
>    SATA-1 and SATA-2 are both 500 GiB drives and were configured as a
> RAID-1 in BIOS.
>
>    When the system boots up, BIOS reports 1 160 GiB SATA drive, and 1
> Logical volume as RAID-1 ID#0 500 GiB, which is what I would expect it
> to report, as the two drives are now raided together.
>
>    However, when I boot into the Centos installer and I get to
> configuring the partitions, it lists both sda, sdb, and sdc as
> available.  Both sdb and sdc are 500 GiB.  I would've expected to only
> see one drive for the RAID setup.
>
>    Can someone explain why I see both drives and how am I supposed to
> configure them?  I thought if I configured the BIOS to raid them, I
> wouldn't have to do anything in the OS other than to format the thing
> and expect it to work.

You would be able to do that if you were using a real RAID card, but the
crap that comes on your motherboard is nothing more than a fancy hardware
interface to software drivers that do the RAID.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FakeRAID for more details.

Your best bet is to either get a real hardware RAID card (3ware, etc.) or to
use the software RAID built into linux (md).

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak
Department of Mathematics