[CentOS] No Centos5 update announcements yet

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Sun Apr 15 02:20:42 UTC 2007

John Summerfield wrote:
> I've always wondered why you produce so many announcements. Isn't one
> per package per release enough?

The reason why so many announcements get created is because there are
different people doing different Arch's and different Release's - and
machine speeds are very different on each platform.

Eg. the s390 pkgs for c4 take a while longer than the ia64 ( which is,
by far the fastest platform we have at the moment ) - and in some cases
the s390 can lag by days for large packages like the kernel updates etc.
We dont want to hold back all updated arch's for the sake of 1 release
announcement.

So for CentOS2.1/3/4 the situation wont change - with CentOS-5 we have a
slightly better situation in that rather than 1 system per arch, our
main arch's - i386 and x86_64 - are now building in sync, but we still
have a different buildsystem for ppc and a completely different one for
ia64 - so in the interest of keeping things sane and in the same format
as users expect, update announcements are going to stay the way they are.

One thing worth pointing out here is that while we do produce a lot of
announcements, users can easily filter the ones they want and just not
receive the rest.

- KB