[CentOS] CentOS 4.4 32 bits not recognizing disks

Wed Apr 4 11:30:59 UTC 2007
Jim Perrin <jperrin at gmail.com>

On 4/4/07, Mário Gamito <mgamito at telbit.pt> wrote:
> It has a VIA hardware RAID controller model VT-8251.

They'd like you to think that, and their marketing team works hard at
pushing this belief. What you've got there is considered FAKERAID.
Mostly they put software raid on a chip and farm out all the work to
the CPU. At most you can use these to connect extra disks to the
system. At worst, they'll get in the way and prevent installs. It's
along the same line as the 'winmodems' or software modems that
everyone was touting before cable and DSL was cool.

> Problem is that CentOS installation doesn't recognize any hard drives at
> all.

Far as I know, support for this chipset didn't make it into the kernel
til around 2.6.17 or so. It *might* be supported in centos5 (you can
try the beta if you like) but I don't believe it's supported for
centos4, on the 2.6.9-* kernel versions.

> The BIOS setup doesn't have an option to turn off SATA.
>
> Any ideas ?

Ignore that controller and get yourself a 3ware card?

George Orwell