[CentOS] Having trouble with FreeNX, Need help to make it work perfectly

Thu Apr 26 02:40:01 UTC 2007
Tim Wunder <tim at thewunders.org>

On Wednesday 25 April 2007 10:24:02 pm Kai Yang Tay wrote:
> For 'startx' fatal error, I am not able to describe much, because i
> have removed the OS from the server.
>
> The server i am using is a DELL PowerEdge 840
> - Pentium D 2.8Ghz Pro 915
> - 1GB DDR2 ECC
> - C4 RAID 1 Card
> - 160GB SATA 2
>
> As mentioned in my first post. Basically I get the error with these
> few easy steps
> 1 - Fresh Installed CentOS 5
> 2 - Use yum to install Yumex first
> 3 - Use yumex to install FreeNX - and follow the instructions from
> http://wiki.centos.org/FreeNX
>
> 4 - After installation, I go into /usr/bin/nxserver to --adduser root
> 5 - Then I --passwd root and set a password.
>
> 6 - Later I went to /etc/nxserver and copy a copy of client.id_dsa.key
> to my thumbdrive.
> 6, A - <<Add>>, I also config my server to static ip 192.168.1.5
> before i reboot the server
>
> 7 - I reboot the server after that, and leave it aside without local
> login anymore.
> 8 - I setup my NXClient and copy the .key before i log into the server
> with the root account
> 9 - I get a successful login.
> 10 - Now I will reboot the server through the remote NX session.
> 11 - I go to System -> Log Off -> and select Reboot.
> 12 - The server reboot, and my NX client was cut off with a violent
> error, saying something like "Connection has been disconnected" etc.
> 13 - After the reboot, I can no longer log into server with NX
> anymore. The client will prompt error msg, like what PASTED in the
> first post.
> 14 - I then turn back to local login, and here GOES~ the GNOME, i am
> left with only console login.

From your initial post:
<quote>
NX> 1006 Session status: running
NX> 596 Session startup failed.
NX> 1004 Error: NX Agent exited with exit status 1.
Can't
open /var/lib/nxserver/db/running/sessionId{1279B1D659A32AEF7AA88D7C50CA5619}:
No such file or directory.
mv: cannot stat
`/var/lib/nxserver/db/running/sessionId{1279B1D659A32AEF7AA88D7C50CA5619}':
No such file or directory
NX> 1006 Session status: closed
NX> 1001 Bye.
bye
</quote>

This seems to be indicating that your trying to reconnect to a session that
doesn't exist.

But, I think the FreeNX error is misleading you, and you have an X server
problem, since you've said that you can no longer run 'startx' from the
server locally. If you can't log into GNOME, or run startx, then you have a
misconfigured X server. And FreeNX can't work (AFAIK) without X.

I recommend these steps:
Install the O/S
Update the O/S
reboot
make sure X still works
(Do this without installing or configuring FreeNX)

Once you have a fully updated system, with X running. Then try to install and
configure FreeNX.

HTH,
Tim