[CentOS] setting up CentOS 5 with Raid10

Sat Apr 28 01:17:42 UTC 2007
David Mackintosh <David.Mackintosh at xdroop.com>

On Fri, Apr 27, 2007 at 04:56:40PM -0400, Ruslan Sivak wrote:

> I am now trying to set up raid10 manually by using mdadm, but it gives
> me an error, and when looking at dmesg, it says "md: personality for
> level 10 is not loaded!".

As it happens, I have just assembled four disks into a raid-10 array.
Assembly is trivial; however there was a non-obvious step required to
make it start the raid-10 array at boot time.

My notes are here:

  http://wiki.xdroop.com/space/Linux/Software+Raid+compound+devices

Incidentally, I'm trying to use this as the back end of a nfs file server;
does anyone have any advice for improving performance (lots of small files,
lots of reads and writes and deletes, some large files) other than "run
bonnie++ and iozone, fiddle, and repeat"? (Dell PowerEdge 2800, 2x36 + 4x300,
CentOS 4.4 x86_64)

--
 /\oo/\
/ /()\ \ David Mackintosh |