[CentOS] setting up CentOS 5 with Raid10

Sat Apr 28 05:12:50 UTC 2007
Feizhou <feizhou at graffiti.net>

David Mackintosh wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 27, 2007 at 04:56:40PM -0400, Ruslan Sivak wrote:
>
>> I am now trying to set up raid10 manually by using mdadm, but it gives
>> me an error, and when looking at dmesg, it says "md: personality for
>> level 10 is not loaded!".
>
> As it happens, I have just assembled four disks into a raid-10 array.
> Assembly is trivial; however there was a non-obvious step required to
> make it start the raid-10 array at boot time.
>
> My notes are here:
>
>   http://wiki.xdroop.com/space/Linux/Software+Raid+compound+devices

Funny that...I did not need a mdadm.conf file before...

> Incidentally, I'm trying to use this as the back end of a nfs file server;
> does anyone have any advice for improving performance (lots of small files,
> lots of reads and writes and deletes, some large files) other than "run
> bonnie++ and iozone, fiddle, and repeat"? (Dell PowerEdge 2800, 2x36 + 4x300,
> CentOS 4.4 x86_64)

Backend? You mean it is the NFS server right?

Use ext3. Increase the size of the journal as appropriate (depends on
size of the filesystem and the amount of RAM you have), make sure htree
support is turned on, increase the number of nfs daemons.