[CentOS] Postfix smtp freezing

Feizhou feizhou at graffiti.net
Fri Aug 10 08:05:08 UTC 2007

Jason Ross wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> For the last 8 months I have been running a postfix / mail scanner setup
> based on Johnny Hughes' excellent tutorial.
> For the firs 7 months I have had no issues. This past month I have been
> having instances where the user gets an smtp error while trying to send
> email.
> Restarting the postfix service is all it takes to resolve this issue.
> The problem is that it has begun to occur more and more often. It is now
> up to once every day.
> I have found nothing unusual in the mail or messages logs. As I am an
> ultra newbie I am unsure of the next step to take to resolve this.
> I have search through the past messages on this list and can find
> nothing. Anyone have any ideas?

The following details would be nice:

Number of smtpd daemons configured (if you have not changed then it is
100), number of smtpds, cleanups and trivial-rewrites running when you
encounter the problem, cpu utilization statistics.

I am not familiar with how mail-scanner is run. I assume it has a fixed
number of processes. Are all mail-scanner processes in action during the
smtp timeout and taking the majority of cpu resources?