[CentOS] Re: Postfix smtp freezing

Sat Aug 11 16:38:42 UTC 2007

On 09 August 2007, Ken Price <kprice at nowyouknow.net> wrote:
<snip>
> I'll give my two cents and retire for the evening.  I've tried
> multiple times from 3 different locations (Atlanta & Seattle) to
> connect to MAIL.MEDVOICE.COM on port 25 ... which I'm assuming is your
> problem server.  I get inconsistent results.  Half the time I get a
> near immediate (<2 seconds) 220 prompt.  The rest of the time I get >
> 10 seconds or timeouts.

I tried his SMTP this morning and it was either OK or timeout.

> 3)  Who does your DNS?  Looks like Qwest is authoritative for your
> domain, do you use their recursive DNS servers too?  If yes, this
> could be a problem.  If you don't already, RUN YOUR OWN RECURSIVE DNS
> for your server!!
> Bandwidth and DNS are the likely culprits.

Possibly someone who knows a *lot* more about DNS management than I do
can look at his DNS management? I have the ttl (IN) for "A" and "PTR" at
3600s for my web site. Faster, if one changes IP address. He has those
ttl at 100000s.

Possibly he could use the IP address more, in DNS management?

I've had the SMTP service die, over the past 68 months, approximately
10-15 times, on a RH server (shared hosting). Never daily. Services and
processes sometimes die mysteriously, but probably not on a daily basis.

In the WHOIS record:

> Name Server: AUTHNS3.STTL.QWEST.NET
>    Name Server: AUTHNS1.MPLS.QWEST.NET
>    Name Server: AUTHNS2.DNVR.QWEST.NET

Possibly those should be in different order? (I have mine, NS1, NS2, NS3, NS4 from top to bottom)