[CentOS] strange chgrp behavior

Tomas Ruprich

ruprich at uikt.mendelu.cz
Thu Aug 30 16:05:49 UTC 2007

Greetings,
i had a following problem, which on one side i have already solved, but
on other side i don't thing it should behave this way and wish somebody to
tell if it is feature or bug ;-)

[root at machine home]# chown user user/
[root at machine home]# ls -ld /home/user
drwxr-xr-x  66 user staff 4096 /home/user
[root at machine home]# chgrp -R staff user/
[root at machine home]# ls -ld user/
drwxr-xr-x  66 root staff 4096 user/
              ^^^^^^

I've been working on it hole afternoon, playing with user permissions,
moving home directories to others, debugging selinux and other things,
but at last, it was caused by

[root at machine home]# ls -la user/.openoffice/user/work
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 13 Aug 28 14:35 user/.openoffice/user/work -> /home/user

When i remove this symlink, everything works fine.

I tried this on CentOS 4.4 and 4.5 with
coreutils-5.2.1-31.4 and
coreutils-5.2.1-31.6
and both are doing this. CentOS 5 with
coreutils-5.97-12.1.el5
is already fine.

I've been searching through coreutils gnu.org archives, but found
nothing (maybe i'm not so experienced seeker ;-))

Thanks
  Tomáš Ruprich                                       ruprich at uikt.mendelu.cz
  DCD IICT MUAF Brno
  tel.: +420 545 132 885, +420 602 127 744