[CentOS] Re: recovery data

Thu Aug 2 15:50:48 UTC 2007
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

Hiep Nguyen spake the following on 8/2/2007 7:33 AM:
> and when i typed dmesg | tail and i got this:
>
> Additional sense: Write error
> end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 39776936
> Buffer I/O error on device sda, logical block 4972117
> scsi0: ERROR on channel 0, id 0, lun 0, CDB: Read (10) 00 02 5e f2 a8 00
> 00 08 00
> Info fld=0x0, Current sda: sense key Medium Error
> Additional sense: Write error
> end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 39776936
> Buffer I/O error on device sda, logical block 4972117
> FAT: invalid media value (0xb9)
> VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev sda.
>

> anyone got any idea?

Sounds like the drive is past corrupt and actually dead. You might need to try
some recovery software, or if the data is real important, send it out to a
recovery service like Ontrack or Drivesavers. That option is very pricey,
though. I just sent in a 160 GB USB drive that our engineer was storing stuff
to, and it ran near $2000.00 USD. He has since been flogged for not using
company standard data storage practices.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and