[CentOS] Hot swap SATA?

Thu Aug 23 13:08:33 UTC 2007
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

On Wednesday 22 August 2007, Alfred von Campe wrote:
> As far as I know, all drives (2 hard disks and 2 optical drives) are
> on the same controller.  Well, all 4 are plugged in to the
> motherboard of a Lenovo ThinkCentre M55 PC.  There is no separate
> controller, unless there is more than one on the motherboard itself.

Many motherboards that have more than two SATA connectors put two on the
SouthBridge's IDE-type controller, and the others on 'something else'.
Usually, the 'something else' shows as a SCSI controller in Linux.  How many
SATA connectors are there?

I have seen a few motherboards use the Intel ICH ports as the first two, then
put either a Promise or SiliconImage controller on the board to handle the
other two or four ports (typically labeled as being 'RAID' ports).  The ICH
will show as /dev/hdx, and the SiI or Promise will show as /dev/sdx.
--
Lamar Owen
Chief Information Officer