[CentOS] Hot swap SATA?

Thu Aug 23 14:39:24 UTC 2007
Alfred von Campe <alfred at von-campe.com>

On Aug 23, 2007, at 9:08, Lamar Owen wrote:

> Many motherboards that have more than two SATA connectors put two
> on the
> SouthBridge's IDE-type controller, and the others on 'something else'.
> Usually, the 'something else' shows as a SCSI controller in Linux.
> How many
> SATA connectors are there?

The User guide says they are 5 connectors, but I can only see 4.
Three of them are very close to each other, and the fourth one is a
little further away.  Wouldn't you know it, my boot drive is
connected to the one that is by itself.  Maybe if it had been
connected to one of the other three, it would have been /dev/sda (or /
dev/sdb).

Like I mentioned in my previous post, I have two hard disks and two
optical drives.  Here are the device names:

# ls -l /dev/[cdhs][vd]*
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root    root     3 Aug 20 12:24 /dev/cdrom -> hdc
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root    root     4 Aug 20 12:24 /dev/cdrom1 -> scd0
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root    root     4 Aug 20 12:24 /dev/cdwriter -> scd0
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root    root     3 Aug 20 12:24 /dev/dvd -> hdc
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root    root     4 Aug 20 12:24 /dev/dvd1 -> scd0
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root    root     4 Aug 20 12:24 /dev/dvdwriter -> scd0
brw-rw----  1 root    disk  3, 0 Aug 20 12:23 /dev/hda
brw-rw----  1 root    disk  3, 1 Aug 20 12:23 /dev/hda1
brw-rw----  1 root    disk  3, 2 Aug 20 12:23 /dev/hda2
brw-------  1 root    disk 22, 0 Aug 20 12:23 /dev/hdc