[CentOS] need help on second Ethernet port (eth1) point to point connect

Wed Aug 29 15:28:23 UTC 2007
Ray Leventhal <centos at swhi.net>

John R Pierce wrote:
> mcclnx mcc wrote:
>
>> I have two DELL servers with two Ethernet ports in it.
>>  Bith servers have CENTOS 4.5 installed.  First
>> Ethernet port connect to public Ethernet line and work
>> correctly.  Second Ethernet port I connect
>> point-to-point as private Ethernet (cable direct
>> connect without router or switch).  Private Ethernet
>> use IP asddress 1.1.1.1 and 1.1.1.2.
>>

> are you using a 'crossover' cable for this? you can't patch two NIC'
> directly together with a regular patch cable, it has to be a crossover
> cable that has Tx wired to Rx and visa versa. Also, I've had mixed
> results using crossover cabling with 1000baseT gig ethernet

A John rightly points out, you need a 'crossover' cable when not using a
hub or switch.
It's likely a good idea to have a few crossover's in house. On the
chance you're not familiar, this link may prove helpful

http://yoda.uvi.edu/InfoTech/rj45.htm

Regards,
~Ray