[CentOS] need help on second Ethernet port (eth1) point to point connect

Wed Aug 29 15:53:34 UTC 2007

John R Pierce wrote:
> mcclnx mcc wrote:
>
>> I have two DELL servers with two Ethernet ports in it.
>>  Bith servers have CENTOS 4.5 installed.  First
>> Ethernet port connect to public Ethernet line and work
>> correctly.  Second Ethernet port I connect
>> point-to-point as private Ethernet (cable direct
>> connect without router or switch).  Private Ethernet
>> use IP asddress 1.1.1.1 and 1.1.1.2.
>>

> are you using a 'crossover' cable for this? you can't patch two NIC'
> directly together with a regular patch cable, it has to be a crossover
> cable that has Tx wired to Rx and visa versa. Also, I've had mixed
> results using crossover cabling with 1000baseT gig ethernet
A large number of NICs are autosensing. They do not need a crossover
cable. I can hook any of my three notebooks together point to point with
a regular cable. They figure it out. Many of my switches do not have the
MTI/MTO switch; they autosense if they are 'down stream'. I forget which
standard. For some reason I am thinking IEEE 802.1ab, but it is probably
a different one.