[CentOS] OT: Suggestions for RAID HW for 2 SATA drives in DellPowerEdge SC

Wed Aug 29 19:26:44 UTC 2007
Ross S. W. Walker <rwalker at medallion.com>

> From: centos-bounces at centos.org
> [mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] On Behalf Of Lanny Marcus
>
> Looking at the Dell PowerEdge 440SC web page for Colombia.
> The box will
> have two  250 GB SATA drives. The HD controller is: SAS 5IR
> SAS,Internal
> Raid Adapter (SAS5IR)
>

> for  HD Configuration) the options are:
> (1) Add-in SAS5iR (SATA/SAS Controller)-RAID 0 (ASASR0)
> (2) Onboard SATA, 2 Drives connected to Onboard SATA
> Controller No RAID
> (MST2)
>  (3) Add-in SAS5iR (SATA/SAS Controller) which supports 1-2 Hard
> Drives-No RAID (ASAS)
>  (4) Add-in SAS5iR (SATA/SAS Controller)-RAID 1 (ASASR1)
>
> Apparently the cost for them is the same. Option 1 (RAID 0)
> or Option 4
> (RAID 1)? Suggestions solicited! TIA, Lanny
>

> BTW: I plan to put CentOS on it. If Dell installs Linux, with 1 year
> support, down here they charge:
> (a) Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES 4, 1 year subscription to Red Hat
> Network, English (RH4ES1) [about US$400]
> (b) SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10, 1 CPU, 1 YR Subscription, FI
> (SL101S1) [about US$160]

I wouldn't worry too much about the OS HD configuration, you are
always going to want RAID1 for the OS, whether software or hardware.

Reason I say not to worry too much about the OS HD config is because
you are almost certainly going to put the application or user data
on a separate array, so the OS HD is basically used for loading
binaries.

-Ross