****Re: [CentOS] CentOS 5 and removing sendmail

Joseph L. Casale jcasale at ActiveNetwerx.com
Mon Dec 3 03:33:45 UTC 2007

>What is it you are trying to accomplish?
>
>--nodeps is almost always the WRONG answer.

Well, just starting my adventure in learning Linux. My immediate need is a spam gateway, and all the how-to's I find are for distributions I either don't want to use or are very old, not to mention just copying commands isn't an effective way to learn. I have decided to stick with CentOS and learn using it, that being said I have loosely decided on a few apps to use for this server: postfix, amavisd-new, clamav and spam assassin. I was hoping to setup a minimal install and start from there, which brought up an interesting scenario. When installing basically nothing except text internet, editors and base, I unchecked sendmail and noticed exim was automatically installed (even though it's not even an option)! Fortunately I am using esx and creating vm's and snapping them to test stuff makes learning very easy! I wonder if base is not even selected if any MTA is installed?

Thanks for the pointer on --nodeps (I can see why that logically can be a problem).

jlc