****Re: [CentOS] CentOS 5 and removing sendmail

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Dec 3 03:53:28 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-12-02 at 20:33 -0700, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> >What is it you are trying to accomplish?
> >
> >--nodeps is almost always the WRONG answer.
>
> Well, just starting my adventure in learning Linux. My immediate need is a spam gateway, and all the how-to's I find are for distributions I either don't want to use or are very old, not to mention just copying commands isn't an effective way to learn. I have decided to stick with CentOS and learn using it, that being said I have loosely decided on a few apps to use for this server: postfix, amavisd-new, clamav and spam assassin. I was hoping to setup a minimal install and start from there, which brought up an interesting scenario. When installing basically nothing except text internet, editors and base, I unchecked sendmail and noticed exim was automatically installed (even though it's not even an option)! Fortunately I am using esx and creating vm's and snapping them to test stuff makes learning very easy! I wonder if base is not even selected if any MTA is installed?
>
> Thanks for the pointer on --nodeps (I can see why that logically can be a problem).
----
There really isn't a problem having sendmail installed when you run
postfix...it's just that some packages depend upon some sendmail
bits...mostly for local delivery.

If you're just starting out on Linux, there doesn't seem to be much of a
reason to install postfix or anything else from source.

Enable rpmforge repo...

yum install clamav clamav-db amavisd-new postfix switch-mail

and start configuring...easy, done.

yum update (gets updated versions as they come out)

if you install from source, you lose all of the goodness of automatic
updates

Craig