[CentOS] screen + mutt terminal issues. [SOLVED]

Steven Haigh netwiz at crc.id.au
Wed Dec 5 11:50:46 UTC 2007

On Wed, Dec 05, 2007 at 05:49:21PM +1100, Steven Haigh wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to fix a display issue when using mutt inside a screen session.
>
> This issue came to my attention when the following posts hit my mailbox:
>
> 10723     Mário Gamito                   [CentOS] Another question                                                               Wed, Dec 05, 2007  (  2.4K
> 10724     nate                           Re: [CentOS] Anyone using sendmail?                                                     Tue, Dec 04, 2007  (  4.6K)
>
> The accent in Mario's name (post 10723 in my mailbox) seems to cause havok with the
> terminal emulation in mutt. I've experimented with the different terminal emulations
> (xterm, ansi, screen, linux, xterm-color etc) and found that:
> 	ansi = garbled screen.
> 	xterm = displays layout correctly, however highlight bars (in the index screen
>                 within mutt) only drawns a background colour when text is also drawn.
> 	xterm-color = displayis an issue is shown when using the up/down arrows over
>                       his posts. This corrupts the layout of the screen. usually a blank
>                       line is displayed below Mario's name.
> 	screen = same as xterm-color
> 	linux = same as xterm-color
>
> Does anyone know how I might be able to correct this? Is this an issue with screen or the
> termcap or maybe even mutt?

Replying to myself with the fix... Setting PuTTY to use UTF-8 fixes the issue. This is
done in the Window -> Translation section. The default is "ISO-8859-1:1998 (Latin-1, West Europe)"

Changing this to UTF-8 fixes all these display corruption issues.

--
Steven Haigh

Email: netwiz at crc.id.au
Web: http://www.crc.id.au
Phone: (03) 9001 6090 - 0412 935 897

"C" gains much of its vaunted efficiency by employing a very powerful
pre-processor, normally referred to as a "programmer."