[CentOS] Install CentOS based distro

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Wed Dec 5 13:14:17 UTC 2007

Mário Gamito wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm making a dedicated distribution based on CentOS 5.1

Sounds good, but the usual question - why ?

> I was thinking about a (K)ubuntu kind of way: the CD/DVD boots, a
> graphical interface appears with an "Install" button, just a click on it
>  and then just wait to finish.

That sounds like a good idea, and its easy to do as well. You dont need
to change anything in the CentOS-5 distro in order to achieve that. Also
not building everything from scratch means that things are easier for
you to update.

> Now, I'd like to avoid building RPMs for my added software. Is this
> possible this way ?

Thats a really bad idea. I would suggest you use something like
slackware or lfs, if you dont want to use a package management system.

> Other suggestions are welcome.

well, what problem are you trying to solve ? Maybe I can help, if you
share some more info.