[CentOS] rsync 5.1 base repo question

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Thu Dec 6 03:48:57 UTC 2007

Craig White wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-12-05 at 21:42 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>
>> I have built my repo by copying the content of the ISO images,
>> maintaining the date.
>>
>> When I test with:
>>
>> rsync -avun rsync://mirrors.kernel.org/centos/5.1/os/i386/ \
>> --exclude=debug/ /repos/centos/5.1/os/i386
>>
>> the only file listed is:
>>
>> CentOS/yum-kernel-module-1.0.4-3.el5.centos.2.noarch.rpm
>>
>> Which I did not get from the ISOs.
>>
>> but if I leave off the -u option, the list is VERY long.  Why?
>>
>> Also do I need to use the --delete option to get rid of rpms replaced
>> with newer versions?
>>
> ----
> man rsync
>
> -u, --update                skip files that are newer on the receiver
> it won't copy the files that are the same

And, so?  Why all the files that are newer on the ISO than the mirror repo?
> --delete   yes
>
> it deletes files that don't exist anymore on server

Figured so
> heavily recommend dag's mrepo...it does all the heavy lifting for you

I tried to find decent documentation.  All I found were a few text files
on http://svn.rpmforge.net/svn/trunk/tools/mrepo/docs

And I could not figure out how to run the repo from files and not the ISOs.

Perhaps you can point me to some good documentation on it?