[CentOS] rsync 5.1 base repo question

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Dec 6 04:19:00 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-12-05 at 22:48 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
> > On Wed, 2007-12-05 at 21:42 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> >
> >> I have built my repo by copying the content of the ISO images,
> >> maintaining the date.
> >>
> >> When I test with:
> >>
> >> rsync -avun rsync://mirrors.kernel.org/centos/5.1/os/i386/ \
> >> --exclude=debug/ /repos/centos/5.1/os/i386
> >>
> >> the only file listed is:
> >>
> >> CentOS/yum-kernel-module-1.0.4-3.el5.centos.2.noarch.rpm
> >>
> >> Which I did not get from the ISOs.
> >>
> >> but if I leave off the -u option, the list is VERY long.  Why?
> >>
> >> Also do I need to use the --delete option to get rid of rpms replaced
> >> with newer versions?
> >>
> > ----
> > man rsync
> >
> > -u, --update                skip files that are newer on the receiver
> > it won't copy the files that are the same
> >
> And, so?  Why all the files that are newer on the ISO than the mirror repo?
----
no comprehende
----
> > --delete   yes
> >
> > it deletes files that don't exist anymore on server
> >
> Figured so
> > heavily recommend dag's mrepo...it does all the heavy lifting for you
> >
> I tried to find decent documentation.  All I found were a few text files
> on http://svn.rpmforge.net/svn/trunk/tools/mrepo/docs
>
> And I could not figure out how to run the repo from files and not the ISOs.
----
the benefit of iso's is that mrepo gives you 2 for 1, you get the iso's
and it dynamically links the files from the iso so you don't actually
have to keep the files at all (for the os - updates of course are a
different matter)
----
> Perhaps you can point me to some good documentation on it?
----
http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/mrepo/

http://www.labmonkeys.org/systems_management:patch_management:installing_mrepo_on_rhel5

The thing about mrepo is that since you are sync'ing a whole ton of
stuff, it takes time to setup/download/createrepo and so it's not for
the impatient. What it does do is handle not only the base/updates but
also allows you to add other companion repositories and have your own
'local' repository too (for stuff like acroread/flash/java/home-rolled
rpms). It allows easy installation by http and even sets up PXE/TFTP
install too.

Craig