[CentOS] Need a sendmail help mail list

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Thu Dec 6 05:06:38 UTC 2007

Christopher Chan wrote:
> Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>> Craig White wrote:

>>> ----
>>> try here first
>>
>> My fax server (fax.foo.com) is suppose to receive mail to:
>> user at ext.fax.foo.com and execute:
>>
>> /usr/bin/faxmail -d user at ext
>>
>> I found the following items to add to sendmail.mc:
>>
>> define(`FAX_MAILER_PATH',`/usr/bin/faxmail')dnl
>> define(`FAX_MAILER_ARGS',`faxmail -d -n -p 12pt $u@$h $f')dnl
>> MAILER(`fax')dnl
>>

>> I have set up DNS with a pseudo domain:
>>
>> sip.foo.com. IN A 192.168.1.100
>> fax.foo.com. IN A 192.168.1.100
>> *.fax.foo.com. IN MX 10 fax.foo.com
>>

>> nslookup shows this to work, and in fact my POP mail server does try
>> to send mail addessed:
>>
>> to: joe at 222.fax.foo.com
>>
>> To fax.foo.com, that gets sent back to me with the error information:
>>

>> ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
>> <joe at 222.fax.foo.com>
>>
>> ----- Transcript of session follows -----
>> 554 5.0.0 MX list for 222.fax.foo.com. points back to sip.foo.com
>> 554 5.3.5 Local configuration error
>>
>> sendmail is NOT suppose to try to relay; it is suppose to accept this
>> for local delivery, and not do a DNS lookup on 222.fax.foo.com....
>>
>> So obviously I need more sendmail help. Then I will have to set it up
>> via webmin....
>>

> The ruleset in the cf file that calls the fax mailer expects the
> domain portion to be ext.fax and not ext.fax.foo.com. The rule looks
> for anything .FAX.
>
> # resolve fake top level domains by forwarding to other hosts
> R$+ < @ $+ .FAX. > $#fax $@ $2 $: $1 user at host.FAX
How do I correct this?

sendmail.mc:define(`FAX_MAILER_PATH',`/usr/bin/faxmail')dnl
sendmail.mc:define(`FAX_MAILER_ARGS',`faxmail -d -n -p 12pt $u@$h $f')dnl
sendmail.mc:MAILER(`fax')dnl

Where did that ruleset come from? And what should I use in the ARGS in
place of $h to get just the host portion of the FQDN?