[CentOS] Need a sendmail help mail list

Christopher Chan christopher at ias.com.hk
Thu Dec 6 05:33:12 UTC 2007

>>> define(`FAX_MAILER_ARGS',`faxmail -d -n -p 12pt $u@$h $f')dnl
>>> MAILER(`fax')dnl
>>>

>>> I have set up DNS with a pseudo domain:
>>>
>>> sip.foo.com. IN A 192.168.1.100
>>> fax.foo.com. IN A 192.168.1.100
>>> *.fax.foo.com. IN MX 10 fax.foo.com
>>>

>>> nslookup shows this to work, and in fact my POP mail server does try
>>> to send mail addessed:
>>>
>>> to: joe at 222.fax.foo.com
>>>
>>> To fax.foo.com, that gets sent back to me with the error information:
>>>

>>> ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
>>> <joe at 222.fax.foo.com>
>>>
>>> ----- Transcript of session follows -----
>>> 554 5.0.0 MX list for 222.fax.foo.com. points back to sip.foo.com
>>> 554 5.3.5 Local configuration error
>>>
>>> sendmail is NOT suppose to try to relay; it is suppose to accept this
>>> for local delivery, and not do a DNS lookup on 222.fax.foo.com....
>>>
>>> So obviously I need more sendmail help. Then I will have to set it up
>>> via webmin....
>>>

>> The ruleset in the cf file that calls the fax mailer expects the
>> domain portion to be ext.fax and not ext.fax.foo.com. The rule looks
>> for anything .FAX.
>>
>> # resolve fake top level domains by forwarding to other hosts
>> R$+ < @ $+ .FAX. > $#fax $@ $2 $: $1 user at host.FAX
> How do I correct this?

Editing sendmail.cf directly.

> sendmail.mc:define(`FAX_MAILER_PATH',`/usr/bin/faxmail')dnl
> sendmail.mc:define(`FAX_MAILER_ARGS',`faxmail -d -n -p 12pt $u@$h $f')dnl
> sendmail.mc:MAILER(`fax')dnl
>
> Where did that ruleset come from? And what should I use in the ARGS in
> place of $h to get just the host portion of the FQDN?

I really do not know. I have not been through sendmail mc/cf files in
quite a while. Let me see if we can pass parameters via mailertable...

If you could edit the sendmail.cf itself, we could dispense with the
mailertables too...