[CentOS] Re: Re: Re: are RPMForge and EPEL compatible?

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Thu Dec 6 16:50:29 UTC 2007

Les Mikesell wrote:

> Rex Dieter wrote:
>> Les Mikesell wrote:
>>
>>> How does a user identify packages that have come from this repository in
>>> order to fix or control any incompatibilities?
>>
>> rpm -qi <name_of_package>
>> Look for "Vendor" and/or "Packager" tag.
>
> Is there some reason to expect a vendor/packager to always (and only) be
> tied to one specific repository?

For the most part, yes, I'd argue the vendor/packager combo should come
close to being able to uniquely identify a package's origins.

> > And is there a way to get my whole
> list of packages from this repository easily, like an 'rpm -qa |grep
> .plus would identify what I have from the centosplus repo?

This is a problem space that sure could use some love and attention, with
better solutions and tools.  No doubt about it.  And before anyone suggests
it, repotags are not the end-all-be-all solution here, imo.  We can/should
be able to do (much) better.

-- Rex