[CentOS] Re: Re: Re: are RPMForge and EPEL compatible?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 17:28:21 UTC 2007

Rex Dieter wrote:

>>> rpm -qi <name_of_package>
>>> Look for "Vendor" and/or "Packager" tag.
>> Is there some reason to expect a vendor/packager to always (and only) be
>> tied to one specific repository?
>
> For the most part, yes, I'd argue the vendor/packager combo should come
> close to being able to uniquely identify a package's origins.

In a system that might want to call itself a community, I don't see why
a particular package couldn't be served from more than one repository.
Is there some rule about that?

>>> And is there a way to get my whole
>> list of packages from this repository easily, like an 'rpm -qa |grep
>> .plus would identify what I have from the centosplus repo?
>
> This is a problem space that sure could use some love and attention, with
> better solutions and tools.  No doubt about it.  And before anyone suggests
> it, repotags are not the end-all-be-all solution here, imo.  We can/should
> be able to do (much) better.

There are lots of things that RPM packaging doesn't handle very well and
won't for the foreseeable future.  Meanwhile we need to do things with
conventions and workarounds since that's all we have.  And there's
nothing wrong with making things visible with filename conventions.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com