[CentOS] Prevent kernel upgrade unless given dependencies satisfied

Fabian Arrotin fabian.arrotin at arrfab.net
Thu Dec 6 18:45:18 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-12-06 at 13:41 -0500, Ross S. W. Walker wrote:
> Dear List Members,
>
> Is there a way to prevent a kernel from being upgraded unless
> a list of given dependencies are satisfied?
>
> What I am getting at is sometimes updated kernels are available
> before the upgraded versions of the kernel modules in 'extras'
> are (ie drbd).
>
> If there were a way to list these modules as dependencies that
> must be satisfied before a kernel upgrade can be performed it
> would prevent a lot of pain around upgrade management.

Yes : when you have production machine using such modules (sitting in
the extras repository, or third-party), i advice you to exclude the
kernel (exclude=) in your yum config ... i *always* update manually such
things, especially when dealing with sensitive data that needs to be
replicated through DRBD ...

My two cents ..

--
Fabian Arrotin <fabian.arrotin at arrfab.net>