[CentOS] Re: Please help me rate vnc, rdesktop, and freenx

Les Bell lesbell at lesbell.com.au
Thu Dec 6 22:57:04 UTC 2007

Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com> wrote:

Yeah... ssh into the server, vi whatever.conf re-[start|load] service, exit
ssh.
"the simple things are sometimes the best!"
<<

Darn straight. And using ssh-agent (or Pageant with PuTTY on Windows) in
conjunction with key forwarding, you can make it easy to script stuff that
runs across multiple machines, thereby automating an entire server farm, if
you want to. Unix admin maxim: if you have to do something more than once,
write a script for it. See
http://www.lesbell.com.au/Home.nsf/web/SSH+for+Server+Administration?OpenDocument

We certainly don't want to revert to the "point-and-grunt" method of doing
things found in the Windows world. I thought we'd put that behind us when
we stopped living in the trees.

[I considered a "wink" smiley here, but decided against it. ;) ].

Best,

--- Les Bell, RHCE, CISSP
[http://www.lesbell.com.au]
Tel: +61 2 9451 1144