[CentOS] Please help me rate vnc, rdesktop, and freenx

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 19:34:41 UTC 2007

Bill Campbell wrote:

>> The real *NIX way of accessing a graphical application remotely is by
>> using a remote X desktop.  It sounds strange if you're not familiar
>> with it, but basically you run the 1 application on the remote server,
>> and the application window (and only the application window), shows up
>> on your local workstation.

Or you can run the whole desktop remotely - or many of them on thin
clients.  Freenx does this just as well as X locally (perhaps with a bit
more overhead, but the tradeoff is that you can suspend and reconnect).

 >>  SSH provides a way to do this securely.
>> The drawback is you will need an X server running on your local
>> computer, but that can be had for free in Windows from cygwin.

You can use the easily installed (and free) NX client from windows and
macs without installing anything extra.  And it uses ssh so you only
need port 22 open to the destination.

> I don't Do Windows(tm) so rarely have to deal with them.  When
> working with Linux and other *nix systems, it's always through
> ssh with X11 forwarding for those rare occassions when I need to
> do something like run Firefox from a client's machine to access a
> router from their private LAN.  That can get a bit clunky on slow
> connections, but it does work.

Freenx isn't all that clunky even on slow connections, which, aside from
the ability to reconnect to running sessions, is the main reason to use
it.  It takes a bit of time for the initial screen to draw, but the
protocol does a good job with subsequent updates.

> If I'm on a fast connection, I'll run the xterm on the remote
> system with ``ssh -f remotename xterm'', but if it's a slow
> connection ``xterm -e ssh remotename &'' to run the xterm on my
> local machine.

I like to keep a freenx session running on a machine at the office with
windows already open to a bunch of other systems (it is just like any
other X desktop).  When I'm there I connect from a multi-head windows
box with the NX client filling one monitor with this session so it is
pretty much indistinguishable from a local Linux box except that I can
cut and paste between it and the windows programs on the other monitor.
  When I leave, I suspend the session and can pick it up from a Mac at
home or a windows laptop on the road.  Any long-running commands are
still there and if there is a problem with connectivity it doesn't kill
anything - you can still reconnect with things running.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com